Tagged by my good buddy mouseskull
strobist: shot outdoor against overcast sky – ambient exposed about 1 stop under (i think, but it’s a self-portrait so i was winging it a bit); SB-800 high camera left at 1/8th. remote trigger.
1. “Matt” is my real first name but “Duke” is a nickname.
2. Our original family name is supposedly “Hyatt” but no one really knows for sure. The story goes that when my great-grandfather was being processed at Ellis Island, he heard the guy in front of him give his name to the immigration officer. When that man got his immigration papers stamped, he made a snap decision not to take any chances and gave the immigration officer the same name – so much for "Hyatt".
3. I was born in 1957 in New York City but moved away when I was two. Didn’t really like the place.
4. I played the tuba for a short while in junior high school. No shit, the tuba.
5. Skiing is the only sport I’ve ever really excelled at. My Dad was one of the original skiers and started me young (with lace up boots, wooden skis & bear-trap bindings no less). It remains a passion and I take great satisfaction that I’m a better skier in my 50’s than I was in my 20’s. This is a primary motivation for getting my knee fixed.
6. On the other hand, I really suck at golf. And I don’t mean the, “oh he’s just being modest” kind of suck either. I mean the “holy shit, he really DOES suck” kind of suck.
7. I probably don’t fit your image of a Harvard MBA. Serves you right for stereotyping.
8. Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. By a LOT. If you gave me the choice of my birthday or Halloween, I’d never age a day.
9. I met my wife in high school but I usually don’t talk about it; it’s WAY too cute for my taste.
10. My favorite food: Buffalo chicken wings – extra spicy. No doubt about it.
11. I once caught a Mickey Mantle foul ball. But when I went to college, my Mom cleaned out my room and threw it away. I think most people would say that’s the saddest story they’ve ever heard.
12. I can probably kick your butt in backgammon.
13. I hate wearing bathing suits in hot tubs. I mean really, really HATE it! Fair warning if you ever invite me over for a soak.
14. I do one-hand tasks (like throwing) left-handed, but two-hand tasks (like batting) right-handed. I’m not sure whether that makes me a right-handed or left-handed photographer.
15. I think Photoshop’s Liquify filter could be the most important technological innovation of the computer age.
16. I bought my first camera in 1969. It was a Polaroid Swinger and shot 2 1/8” x 2 7/8” b&w instant pictures. When you had the exposure setting right, the word “YES” would appear in the viewfinder. Ah, those were the days…
Tagged: , sp , self portrait , me , b&w , 16 things , sixteeen things , mattdukephoto