Street-car. 156 Hastings St. W. Vancouver. Circa 1923.
The following information was provided by Jim McGraw, Vancouver Historical Society:
"The photo shows an electric streetcar or tram. The word "streetcar" was used in Vancouver, Toronto and many other cities while "tram" was used in Montreal. Some U.S. cities called them "trolleys." …..Early electric collection "trollers" were pulled along the overhead wire by streetcars trailing a flexible wire. ….This car is one of three open-top observation sightseeing cars operated by the British Columbia Electric Railway Company. Two of the cars were built in 1909. Number 124 was for Vancouver while the Number 123 was for Victoria. The Victoria car was later brought over to Vancouver. The two cars were built to a design bought from the Montreal Tramways Company, which had built the original sightseeing cars for their own system in 1904.
A third Vancouver car was rebuilt from an older car into an open sightseeing car in 1916 to be used as a spare.
The cars were used as sightseeing cars travelling over the streetcar system of Vancouver on a two-hour trip, four times a day. Ostensibly for tourists, the Vancouver cars like their Montreal cousins, were more often used by locals who enjoyed a jaunty and breezy summertime ride through the city."
Tagged: , Pop , Alfred , Oma , Ethel