The Grade II* listed Lincoln Crown Court inside Lincoln Castle Lincoln, Lincolnshire.
The building replaced the previous Lincoln Castle County Hall (which itself had replaced the earlier old Shire Hall) after it was declared insecure, an act for rebuilding was obtained, and demolition took place in 1822. Demolished was completed by using prison labour.
The new County Hall and Assize Courts was built between 1823-1828 in Regency "Gothick" style by architect Sir Robert Smirke using bricks were reused from the previous building. The masons were G Willoughby of Malton; joinery by Messrs Baker and Son of The Strand, London; painters Messrs Dixon and Sons; plastering G Smith; plumbers and glaziers Thomas Vent of Boston. Castle Clerk of the Works, William Webb.
In 1928 a south porch was added extra prisoner’s cells/interview rooms by architects Scorer Gamble and Co.
Tagged: , Lincoln , Lincolnshire , Midlands , East Midlands , England , English , UK , United Kingdom , GB , Great Britain , Britain , British , Lincoln Castle , Castle , Lincoln Crown Court , Crown Court , Court , Crown , Law , Medieval , Middle Ages , Lincoln County Hall , County Hall , Assize Courts , William the Conqueror , Norman , Museum , Prison , Law Court , Magna Carta , King John , Grade II* Listed Building , Grade II* , Listed Building , Regency Gothick style , architect , Sir Robert Smirke , Masons , G Willoughby of Malton , joinery , Messrs Baker and Son of The Strand, London , painter , Messrs Dixon and Sons , plastering , G Smith , plumber and glazier , Thomas Vent of Boston , Scorer Gamble and Co