Chicken tikka is a sizzling and traditionally baked delicacy prevalent in India. Skewers with chicken pieces, generally boneless, are baked in a clay oven called ‘tandoor’. The chicken pieces are marinated in spices and yogurt before preparation of chicken tikka. The literal definition of ‘tikka’ in Punjabi, urdu and Persian languages is ‘bits’ or ‘pieces’. The Punjabi version of chicken tikka is barbecued on red hot coals and chicken with bones are incorporated. Chicken tikka pieces are brushed with clarified butter or ghee at intervals to boost up the flavor. As accompaniment, chicken tikka is usually served with green coriander chutney, onion rings and lemon wedges.
I am going to illustrate the preparatory steps of ‘Chicken Tikka Recipe’, a tasty mouth watering dish for kids as well as elders:
To make 5 grand servings, you will need:
- Boneless chicken – 1 kg (cut into small pieces)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Yoghurt/Curd – 1 cup
- Kashmiri chill powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Onion rings
- Lemon wedges
Preparation Method of Chicken Tikka Recipe:
1) Clean the chicken, remove the bones and cut it into small cubes.
2) Apply a mixture of kashmiri chili powder, lemon juice and salt to the chicken and keep it aside for half an hour.
3) Meanwhile, remove the whey from the curd by hanging it in a muslin cloth for 15 minutes.
4) To this curd, add kashmiri red chili powder, salt, ginger and garlic pastes, lemon juice, garam masala powder and mustard oil. Mix well.
5) Apply this marinade onto the chicken pieces and refrigerate for 4 hours.
6) Heat 4 – 5 tbsp of oil in a non – stick pan.
7) Fry the chicken pieces on a very low flame.
At first, the chicken will leave some water but it will dry up soon and you will start getting a tantalising smell, while the chicken is getting roasted.
8) Fry the chicken on the other side too, until both sides are reddish brown in colour.
9) Garnish with onion rings and lemon wedges.