In many local homes, gelatin is often served as a sweet dish at the end of a meal, but more often it is served as a cake for special occasions. It is made very elaborate and is used as the center piece to adorn an elaborately laid table, just a decorated cake is used in Western countries.
Gelatin is a sea weed found in abundance off the shores of Japan. It is useful in the diet because of its mineral content, being rich in calcium and iodine and is prescribed by the people of the East for preventing goitre. Gelatin is available in two forms, as long strands of transparent weed or as a powder. Either form can be boiled to make jelly. Gelatin does not have a very distinct flavor of its own, so it is greatly improved by the addition of fruit or other flavorings.
Other local cakes made from sweet potatoes, yams, peas and beans, rice flour, tapioca, etc. are often eaten as breakfast foods or or snacks and supper. They are all rich in carbohydrates, though some may contain a little protein as well.
Yam Cake Recipe
6 oz. damp rice flour
2 oz. tapioca flour
600 gram yam
2 tablespoon dried prawns
1 piece reserved radish
Te teaspoon mixed spice
3 tablespoons fired peanuts
2 teaspoons fired gingelly seeds
2 leaves springions
1 teaspoon alkali water
oil, salt and pepper
1. Pound the fried peanuts. Wash and pound dried prawns.
2. Scrub, peel, dice and wash yam.
3. Wash and dice spring onion and chili for garnishing.
4. Wash and dice preserved radish and chop up the onions.
5. Heat up 2 to 3 tablespoonfuls of oil, brown the onions and fry the dried prawns.
6. Add the preserved radical, yam, salt and mixed spice and toss all together for 5 minutes. Dish it up.
7. Knead tapioca flour and rice flour together and mix with water to make 1 p pints batter.
8. Add the fried ingredients and alkali water to the batter. Add enough salt to taste.
9. Heat up a steaming tray in a pan of water, pour the mixture into it and stir fill the mixture begins to thicken.
10. Cover with a fitting lid and steam for h hour.
11. When cooked, sprinkle pounded peanuts, gingelly seeds, spring onions and chili on top.
12. Cool, cut into neat pieces and serve it with chili sauce.