Ever wondered how professional basketball players reached that game level and why they make fewer mistakes? It can be summarized in one word: “Experience”. There are two ways for you to get that “experience”: the usual way or use another way…
Think of Chauncey Billups for example, well, he has a 3.59 AST/TO ratio -why can he get that statistics and game level and you can’t?
Basketball Tips that’ll “jumpstart” your Experience
In order to achieve a professional basketball players’ experience, you can wait…keep on practicing and working hard on court, and hopefully one day you too will get that “experience” of the pro’s working for you.
Or, you can “jumpstart” your game experience in a different way, for that, you will need to use your best basketball asset – your brain.
Before we go any further, ask yourself the following questions:
(1) Do I understand tactics and moves on court?
(2) Can I anticipate moves and situations before they happen?
(3) Do I see all options and make the right decisions on court?
Follow these smart basketball tips if you want to “jumpstart” your experience:
You should watch as many basketball games as you can – not as a fan, but as a player. This is a big difference, while you watch the game as a player, you should not focus on who dunks or scores more – you need to focus on other aspects that are important to you as a player.
(1) Are you a SG? – Look at your favorite SG and watch how he or she takes their shots. Is it off the dribble or off the screen? How does he or she use the screen? What does he or she do on defense? etc.
(2) Are you a C? – Watch how C position players get the ball on the low-post. Pay attention how they use their body in order to get advantage; which fakes they use when their back is towards the basket; how they position themselves to rebound, etc.
(3) Are you a PG? – Pay attention how PG position players control the team. Learn how they set the offense and at the same time create situations for themselves and for the team.