Skunks not only damage the promises but also release an odor that can be a big nuisance to people at home. These animals exude a bad smelling liquid from their anal glands mainly for defense. Since the muscles at the anal area are strong, the liquid is sprayed to a distance of 2m – 5m. The smell keeps away their predators and other small animals. However, it poses a problem to the humans. Sometimes, your dog may a victim of this spray and starts smelling really bad.
If the spray has affected the eyes of the dog, it is quite painful. Check where your dog has been bitten and also whether he is suffering from redness of the eyes and skin. If he experiences any irritation, he should be immediately taken to the vet.
• The olden remedy of vinegar, mouthwash or tomato juice is not found to be effective.
• Clean the dog immediately once you sense the skunk smell. The longer you leave him with it, the longer you may have to suffer the odor and the more difficult it is to remove it too.
• Change into old clothes, wipe the spray from the dog's body using a gloved hand and immediately bathe him.
• Buy some sprays or shampoos that de-skunk. Otherwise, prepare the solution fresh at home by mixing a solution containing 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, one teaspoon of liquid soap along with c cup of baking soda. Scrub the body well and apply the product and rinse well.
• Keep the dog outdoors as far as possible in order to prevent the odor from circulating inside the home.