You will get three parts to this simple recipe:
1. Delicious low calorie high fiber healthy soup – high in vitamins and minerals
2. Scrumptious additions to increase the protein content of the soup and make it into a low calorie, low carb soup
3. Healthy carbohydrates additives to turn this soup into a tasty filling meal
Serves 4 – 6
1cal / spray oil or if you diet allows healthy olive or rapeseed oil (45 calories / teaspoon)
8 oz (225g) onions
8 oz (225g) carrots
8oz (225g) broccoli
8 oz (225) g leeks
or replace carrots, broccoli and leeks with your favorite low calorie vegetables eg cage, tomatoes fresh or tinned, courgettes, green peppers
1-2 stock cubes
35 floz (1litre) hot water
sprinkling of rosemary, oregano and basil, or your favorite herbs
salt or low salt, black or white pepper to taste
I love soup. Do you?
· Chop the vegetables and if required for flavor, lightly fry onions followed by the other vegetables – place in a big pan.
· If no frying is done (the flavor is still great without frying) put the vegetables into a pan.
· Add the herbs. Start with a small amount and add more to taste later.
· Crumble the stock cube into 1 liter hot water and add to the pan.
· Bring to the boil and then simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
· Decide wherever you want your soup with pieces of vegetable or liquidized – both ways are delicious. Cool before liquidizing.
· Taste your soup, alter seasoning and herbs and serve.
· You can eat as much as you want of this beautiful soup.
For more protein add 4 oz (100g) of the following:
· Quorn (high fiber, high protein and low fat) mince or pieces
· Red lentils, green lentils (tinned or soaked and precooked)
· Tinned or cooked beans of your choice (red kidney, chickpeas, black eyed peas, green peas, butter beans, broad beans)
· Low fat meat eg chicken precooked to remove excess fat
Add with the liquid.
For some carbs to turn the soup into a healthy balanced meal, add one of the following to the ingredients and get an extra 25g carbohydrate and approximately 100 calories per person and an extra 100g carbohydrate and 400 calories per pan of soup.
· 1lb (450g) potatoes chopped and cooked with the other vegetables
· 4 oz (110g) raw rice (brown is higher fiber and tastes good) add with an extra 400ml water
· 6 oz (170g) bread toasted and cut into small squares for low fat croutons added before serving
· 6oz (170g) favorite bread to share without butter or margarine
· 4 oz (110g) pearl barley (good with celery as a vegetable and sage as a herb
· 4 oz (110g) pasta (try wholemeal) boiled and added to the soup 5 minutes before serving
· 11oz (325g) frozen sweetcorn kernels add 7 minutes before serving and stir